If there is a single largest moving part at your home, it has got to be your garage door. It is the last thing you see when you leave your house and the first one when you return. It experiences more wear and tear than any other part or door of your house. It goes up and down about 1000 times a year. A well-maintained garage door provides you security and convenience, while a neglected one can be a nuisance to you and also pose serious safety risks.
It is important to keep your garage door well-maintained and use a good garage door to keep it working at its best for long. To keep it operating safely and smoothly, a little maintenance is needed every year. Here are some simple maintenance tips and tricks for your garage door to keep it functional, noiseless and seamless so you can have peace of mind.
Garage Door Maintenance
These garage door maintenance tips can help you maintain your garage door well and keep it working at its best all year long.
Step # 1 Clean the Garage Door
The first step to maintaining your garage door is to clean it. This should be done at least once a year. Using a soft cloth or sponge, wash the door with an appropriate cleaner. Rub it gently taking off all the dirt and dust accumulated on it, and then rinse it thoroughly using a hose. If you have a wooden garage door, you can clean the door by wiping it with a soft, clean dry cloth.
Your wooden garage door may require staining or repainting depending on its condition. It is important to inspect your door at least once a year to look for signs that it needs repainting or staining. This will depend on the climate of the area and the quality of wood used in making the door. Make sure you clean both the inside and the outside of the door to keep it working and looking at its best.
Step # 2 Inspect the Garage Door for Safety
The next step of garage door maintenance is to inspect it for safety. Conduct a thorough inspection of the hinges, brackets, cables, tracks and rollers for their condition. It is important to do this every three months and correct their operation. Also, make sure that the screws and bolts are tight. Look for any parts that seem frayed or worn out and replace them at your earliest as it can cause a major accident if left unchanged. It is also important to check the door for balance. This can be done using these simple steps:
- Start with disconnecting the power to the door
- Now disengage the opener. This can be done by pulling the handle and the cord from the central track
- Lift the door manually to your waist level and release it slowly. If the door rises or drops, the balance is out and it will need to be adjusted by taking the services of an expert technician. If the door stays at its place, the balance is fine and you can move to the next step.
Step # 3 Lubricating the Garage Door
Lubricating the garage door is one of the most important steps when it comes to garage door maintenance. The most important aspect of this step is finding the right garage door lubricant and lubricating the door the right way to keep it running for long.
The key to your garage door health is lubrication. It keeps the garage doors working in top shape and also prevents them from making any noises. All the screws, hinges and springs of the garage door need some attention every three months, and a good garage door grease can provide it with the best lubrication. It is important to lubricate all the springs, bearings and hinges of the garage door with a good garage door lubricant such as WD-40.
WD-40 has been the top choice of Brits for lubricating garage doors for over 60 years. It can be easily sprayed on to the hinges, springs and the other parts of the garage door. It provides the necessary lubrication needed for the proper working of the garage door. Garage door lubricant WD-40 works best on metal doors. The best part about using this garage door lubricant is the fact that WD-40 not only provides lubrication to the garage door but also provides a preventive coating to it which keeps it away from rust. This will prevent any damage to your garage door by providing it a protective coating against moisture. You can easily spray WD-40 garage door lubricant on the door yourself or can call a technician for help.
- When spraying WD-40 on the garage door, begin with the tracks. Clean any rag on them and spray WD-40.
- The next step is to coat the springs with WD-40. However, make sure they are clean before being sprayed by the garage door lubricant.
- Lubricate the hinges at their pivot points. Make sure you do not mess with the plastic hinges as they don’t need lubrication and can actually cause them to break down.
- Lubricate the bearing and the rollers and make sure you don’t spray too much of the lubricant to prevent it from dripping on to the vehicle
- You can also lubricate the garage door locks with the garage door lubricant. It will make it easy to open and close these locks.
It is important to keep your garage door well-maintained to not only keep it working for long but to also keep yourself and your family safe. It is important to carry out your garage door maintenance at least once a year. The above-mentioned simple steps of maintaining your garage doors will keep your garage doors well-maintained.