Ever had one of those days where everything is being done in a rush? You rush your morning routine, rush your breakfast, and while rushing towards your office, suddenly your car door lock betrays you and simply won’t open. Getting a jammed car lock is a major hassle that you can do without even on the best of days, let alone on a day where you’re late for work.
Fortunately, there are a few ways to extract yourself from this train wreck of a situation without spending too much at a repair shop.
Here are some methods which you can use to open a jammed car lock.
What you’ll need to open a jammed car lock:
- Needle nose pliers
- Flathead screwdriver
- Car key
There are two methods we can use:
1. Unjamming the car lock mechanism
- Remove the interior door panel with the help of a screwdriver. Locate the screws that keep them in place and carefully remove them.
- Locate the door lock mechanism; it should be located right below the door lock itself; look for a metal plate attached to a rod that goes up and down.
- Grip the rod that is attached to the metal plate with your pliers and move it up and down to unjam the lock. Push it up to lock the door and pull it downwards to unlock it. Do this multiple times until the locking mechanism feels smooth.
- If it’s hard to move the rod up and down, use WD-40 on the mechanism to loosen it.
- Test the door lock with your keys, and re-screw the interior panel back on the door.
2. Lubricating a Jammed Lock
- Use the tip of the flathead screwdriver to uncover the keyhole of the car door lock. Use the flathead screwdriver to push the moveable metal piece inside all the way.
- Spray WD-40 directly into the keyhole while holding the can as close to the keyhole as possible.
- Put the car keys into the lock and jiggle it until the lock loosens up.
- Repeat the process until the lock works.
Pro Tip: Always cover your car with a tarp while stationary and use these tips to maintain your car, and park it in a clean spot.